Saturday, January 28, 2017

More birds' nest fungi and orange pinheads

On another swing around Tyee Spit, I stopped to examine a log I'd looked at before, to see how the mini-mushrooms are doing after the winter freeze.

Bird's nest fungus. All of them are full of "eggs".

Ready to spill out. And one is escaping.

I looked over my photos carefully, searching for "eggs" (aka periodoles) outside the cups, but found none. After they've escaped, they will break up and release the spores, which would be too small for me to find.

Orange jelly mushrooms.

These tiny orange dots are speckled on many old logs. They are not witches' butter, nor a look-alike, Dacrymyces palmatus; these are a fixed shape, whereas witches' butter is a blob. And these are all about the same size, no bigger than a dressmaker's pin head; Witches' butter gets much larger. There is a short stalk, and the cap is flattish, becoming concave as it grows.

Zooming in. 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, and 1/3 from the right, there is one seen from the side, showing the stalk.

Also present on this log, meriting another visit; tiny, dust-like greenish black fungi or lichen. Next time the sun comes out, I'll take a good lens down to examine them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger