Sunday, November 20, 2016

Rainy evening

I had been intending to go down to the docks to look for the diving ducks that fish these waters, but was delayed running errands, and here it was, past 5. And the sun sets at 4:30 these days; it was getting dark, and pouring rain to boot.

But the camera was waiting in the car, and my jacket was already wet; why waste an outing? I got the camera into its rain gear, and went down to the boats.

At the bottom of the ramp, a dead harbour seal was floating, half out of the water.

A sad picture, but the spotted hide is interesting.

The head seems to be intact, but skin was sloughing off the back feet already. The creamy line across the centre back seems to be a cut. He may have been in an accident with one of the boats.

Maybe someone ignored this sign. Photo taken with flash, which reflected off the falling rain to make that paler circle of blue. The house is one of the harbour buildings, out on a pier.

Warm light reflecting off ridges on the ramp, and, directly under the light, off raindrops slanting down.

Just lights, warm and cool, on the water.

There was one bird; a great blue heron, looking miserable in the rain. I lightened the photo up quite a bit; he was barely visible.

I went back to the car, got the camera out of its rain gear, changed the settings to cope with the fading light, suited it up again, and went out, to discover the heron just flying away, a dark, wide-winged shadow flitting behind the masts of the boats.

And here are the boats, with all the little lights and someone's bright yellow rain gear.

The darkness and rain blurs out distances, so that the masts and equipment blend in with the traffic lights beyond, the fish and chip shop across the street, and even the houses in the next block above.  In spite of the dark and the wet, it felt cosy, somehow; as if the people in all those little pockets of warmth and light were connected by a common thread; the hour maybe, the time to finish off today's work, and get a hot meal on the table.

And I went home, dried off the camera, hung my jacket to drip over the tub, and cooked up a batch of chicken and mushroom soup.


  1. Boy I bet that chicken and mushroom soup tasted good after the cold and wet. I have to say that your picture of the boats all together is an award winning photo. It is frame-able and beautiful. You might want to enter it somewhere. I love it.

  2. I like the lights in contrast to the dark in your shots. So sad about the seal. I love cooking soup this time of year. Since I had trouble with a tomato bacteria skin infection I only made frozen tomato sauce this year, but it has made the best tortilla soup base. - Margy

  3. The "dead slow" sign was appropriate, given one of the subjects of the blog.

    I'm impressed with the night photography...did you have to put your camera on a tripod? Or is your camera capable of a 5 digit ISO?

    1. I don't carry a tripod outside; too unwieldy, too slow for catching live things on the move. Where I can, I lean on something solid, or plunk the camera down on something and hold it there.
      The camera goes normally to 6400 ISO, but can exceed that on special settings. Which I ignore; the photos are far too noisy.
      If it is really dark, I reduce the exposure, which gives me a darker photo, but doesn't need such a slow shutter; this reduces the effect of movement or camera shake. Then I can brighten it up slightly in post-processing. Not too much, because there's still noise.


If your comment is on a post older than a week, it will be held for moderation. Sorry about that, but spammers seem to love old posts!

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!