Friday, November 07, 2014

Looks good enough to eat!

It isn't. Don't try. It's the extremely poisonous fly agaric mushroom, Amanita muscaria, var. formosa.

15 caps will kill you. Fewer (but how many fewer?) will just make you crazy.

This is the common variant around here, with a yellow or orange cap. I have seen some of the deep red ones, up north in the Bella Coola valley. Very pretty; the mature mushroom caps were flat discs, as big as a cherry pie. A cherry pie with a sprinkling of sugary crumbles on the top.

Fly agarics are known for the unpredictability of their effects. ... (they) can range from nausea and twitching to drowsiness, cholinergic crisis-like effects (low blood pressure, sweating and salivation), auditory and visual distortions, mood changes, euphoria, relaxation, ataxia, and loss of equilibrium. ...
In cases of serious poisoning the mushroom causes delirium, ... characterised by bouts of marked agitation with confusion, hallucinations, and irritability followed by periods of central nervous system depression. Seizures and coma may also occur in severe poisonings. (From Wikipedia)

They're still beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. It may be poisonous, but it sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know enough to trust picking any of my own. They do have classes here in Powell River. Maybe if I took one, but even then I would worry. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is on a post older than a week, it will be held for moderation. Sorry about that, but spammers seem to love old posts!

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!