Sunday, February 09, 2014

Bug-eyed, horned, masked caterpillar

In the middle of last December, halfway between that sudden cold snap and the first (maybe only) snowfall of the winter, I brought in a few dead, frozen maple leaves to see what had survived the freezing weather. This little caterpillar turned up on one, as energetic as if he had been soaking up the sun and eating green leaves instead of the half-rotted variety available at the time.

Larva of a yellow underwing moth, Noctua pronoba

Face view. Laurie says he looks threatening. He's not, unless you're a leaf.

Back view.

And there was a bonus: a springtail on chilly moss.

Orchesella cincta, possibly. Doesn't mind the cold, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger