Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bouncy peeps

On these chilly winter days, how do sandpipers deal with the cold?

We were shivering, in our jackets and scarves, double gloves, warm boots, and the hoods over our tuques.

The sanderling* has no warm socks.

Following the flocks of sandpipers along the shore, I noticed something different about the way they moved. Watch:


*An adult sanderling weighs between 1.4 and 3.5 ounces. The legs are about as thick as a pencil lead. Not much bulk for holding the heat!

2 comments:

  1. That was sweet! Love the music accompaniment, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun little video watching them pop around to that music!!! Love the first scenic picture ... great colours.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger