Saturday, September 22, 2012

Name this sand dweller

I found this animal under a rock, partly buried in the sand, When I dug down to get a better look at it, it disappeared, so I brought home the whole handful of sand. Dumped it in a bowl, added water from the bay, and two of them showed up.

Enough background; can you guess what this is?

Stripy tail.

The entire animal stretches to about an inch or an inch and a half, but as often as not, is contorted in weird lumps and twists, to make a half-inch knot of itself.

I'll post the id in a couple of days. And photos.

2 comments:

  1. just a wild guess, is this a young clam or geoduck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild guesses are good. Another?

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger