Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Eagles in love

High above the White Rock beach, an eagle sat, alone. While we watched, he started to call:

"Squeak, whistle, squeak!"

"I'm coming!"

His mate joined him, and they sang a duet.

"Whistle, squeak, whistle." And the squeakiest  "Tweet, tweet, tweet!" I've ever heard.
The female may repeat a single, soft, high-pitched note that has been called “unlike any other calls in nature”; apparently this signals her readiness for copulation. (From All About Birds)
The photos are poor; the eagles were far away. I wished, later, that I had had the camera on video, to get the female's call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger