Friday, January 13, 2012

Popcorn mimics

I have been busy sorting out the anatomy of a collection of various species of springtails; difficult primarily because of their springiness. I never see them leap; they're just not where they were an instant ago. Half my photos are of empty spaces.

So here I am, well past bedtime, with a new batch of photos of springtail bellies to examine. But not now; tomorrow.

For now, here's one that stopped to investigate something for a second or two.

I think this one is Entomobrya nivalis, one of the "slender" springtails. Between leaps, it is usually running. About 1.5 mm long.

And now, goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed at the quality of your photo, for such a small creature. I'm imagining this little guy wedged between glass and paper, to get such a clear shot. I'd love to hear some of your photography secrets.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger