Sunday, June 07, 2009

Merrily, merrily, merrily

... I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.
It's open house, here, and nectar is on the menu:


Unidentified bee

There are dozens of these partying in every rhododendron shrub, from dawn to dark. They dash from flower to flower, barely staying for a second in each. Time's a wasting!



A shiny black and blue fly, resting on the moss



A tiny wasp (I think), who came to share our tea break at Tim Horton's.



A common backswimmer, Notonecta undulata.

A puddle across the street is full of these. They lounge at the surface in the sunshine, belly-up, head-down, holding on to the "skin" of the water with their toes.

They are predators, eating other bugs and even small fish (not in this puddle, though). And they are really fast; those back legs make great oars. The front ones are spiny, for grabbing prey, but the back legs and tail are feathery, like bird wings.


This one got flipped over when I moved it. Isn't it pretty?

The bees are not the only diners on my rhododendrons; here's a flower longhorn beetle.


Pidonia scripta



"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." (Shakespeare)

And with so much going on, the spiders are keeping busy. This one is a granddaughter of Fat Momma.


Achearanea tepidariorum, American house spider

One more photo, not a bug. A flower smaller than any of today's bugs; just a small blue dot in the grass.


Tiny but beautiful


.

4 comments:

  1. NICE POST...i like there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:35 am

    Wonderful photos! I have so enjoyed learning from you more about bugs, insects, spiders, and other creatures I previously ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tiny flower is corn speedwell (Veronica arvensis). It's quite common around where I live, and underappreciated, both because it's common and because you have to look so close to see the elegant details. Actually, many common flowers are spectacular when you get up close -- I never get tired of ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea), with its deep purple spots on a slightly lighter ground.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger