Monday, March 23, 2009

Flight of the ladybug

On the first day of spring, we saw this ladybug on a sunny fence.


The Sevenspotted Lady Beetle, Coccinella septempunctata

She* got away.


So did this one.


But we caught this one, and brought her* home. I put her in my little viewing tin, and she tried to escape:


Lifting the wing coverts.


Stretching those wings.


Dragging the parachute.


Folding up again.

The tiny tin was hampering her style, so I let her go free. Fly away home!

*Courtesy pronoun. She's a ladybug, after all.

.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots. I don't see ladybugs here very often. I'll keep my eyes open once the rain stops! - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen detail like that. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger