Monday, March 23, 2009

Flight of the ladybug

On the first day of spring, we saw this ladybug on a sunny fence.

The Sevenspotted Lady Beetle, Coccinella septempunctata

She* got away.

So did this one.

But we caught this one, and brought her* home. I put her in my little viewing tin, and she tried to escape:

Lifting the wing coverts.

Stretching those wings.

Dragging the parachute.

Folding up again.

The tiny tin was hampering her style, so I let her go free. Fly away home!

*Courtesy pronoun. She's a ladybug, after all.



  1. Beautiful shots. I don't see ladybugs here very often. I'll keep my eyes open once the rain stops! - Margy

  2. I've never seen detail like that. Great pics.


If your comment is on a post older than a week, it will be held for moderation. Sorry about that, but spammers seem to love old posts!

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!