Saturday, January 05, 2008

Weekly Five, ad lib


I have been lax these last two weeks. (Well, Christmas and New Years' might have something to do with that.) So, whatever the excuse, I haven't built up a listing of science links for the regular link fest.

But here's what I've been browsing today, in no particular order:

From Rock, Paper, Lizard, "Arthropod Art". Right down my alley.

From Science Daily, "Insect attack may have finished off the dinosaurs". Not an asteroid impact after all? An interesting idea.

From the New York Times, "The Invisible Ingredient in Every Kitchen." Can you guess?

One of my favourite blogs: Janet Stemwedel's "Adventures in Ethics and Science". Her weekly "Friday Sprog Blogging" is well worth watching for. This week, the sprogs discuss bears.

From Aardvarchaeology, "Mars Rover still working after Four Years". And the warranty was for 3 months! Someone was doing something right.

Tetrapod Zoology: Surreal caecilians, Part II: "Pass mom's skin, hold the mayo." I know, I know; don't click on this if you're squeamish, or if you object to ten-dollar words. But it has some very interesting tidbits; skim on down to the 8th paragraph for the title story.

And Shelley Batts has the beginning of a series, with her article, "Coffee as Treatment for the Plague". She says,
"Pretty much I'm just going to dig back into the forgotten and moldering annuls (sic) of scientific publications to find weird and interesting studies that very likely would never be published or done today (and perhaps never should have.)"
Have fun browsing!

(Photo from Wikipedia, under a Creative Commons license.)

2 comments:

  1. First I have to run get a cup of - - -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for another interesting collection--and thanks for the link!

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger