Sunday, December 16, 2007

My favourite Christmas recipe

A departure from my regular fare, but ... it's Christmas!

Long ago, when I had a tree like this, and a family to feed, I used to make spiced crabapples every year for an addition to the Christmas table. The red colour matured in the jars, and made a very festive show. Besides, they are delicious!


The recipe I used was similar to this one, although I left out the allspice, put the cinnamon and cloves right in the jar with the crabapples, and put them up in 1/2 pint jars.

My recipe:
  • As many crabapples as you can pick. I had these small red ones, but larger yellow crabapples or quinces do up well, too.
  • A syrup made in the proportion of 1:1:2 -- 1 cup of water, 1 c. white vinegar, 2 c. white sugar.
  • Cinnamon sticks, one or two per jar.
  • Whole cloves, to taste.
Wash crabapples, leave stem on. (For these little crabs, the stem is handy as a holder.) Prick the skin with a sharp knife tip. Combine water, vinegar and sugar in a saucepan, bring to boil. Add spices and crabapples, without crowding. Simmer about 10 minutes, scoop out crabapples and load into hot, scalded canning jars. Add cinnamon sticks and a few cloves.

Fill with boiling syrup to 1/2 inch from top of jars; cover with scalded lids and put screw bands on firmly. Process in a boiling water bath* for 20 minutes, lift and cool.

Check and clean lids, leave bands on loosely.

You're done! And aren't they pretty? Label them nicely, tie a pretty ribbon around the neck, and you've got an addition to your hostess-gift basket.


*Boiling water bath: big pot, with lid, preferably canning pot, but any nicely lidded pot will do. Put a rack in the bottom, or otherwise protect the jars; I used left-over jar rings and lids on the bottom of pots without racks. Heat water to a simmer, add jars upright, using tongs. Cover the lids with one more inch of boiling water. Put the lid on the pot, and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes.

This works for all high-acid fruits.

2 comments:

  1. My Mom made pickled crab apples and I use to love them ... so when I was given some crab apples this year I tried canning them. We haven't tried them yet but will put some out for Christmas dinner (unless they turned out a complete disaster!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom used to place them around the turkey on a platter with kale.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger