Monday, December 17, 2007

I have been sleeping on the job...

... I promised, long ago, to post 5 science-related links per week. I've been remiss; the last one was six weeks ago. No excuses, either.

Getting back on track, here's the mid-December edition of "Weekly Five", including some I've been saving for a whole month; you may have seen them already elsewhere. Or maybe not.

  1. From "Snail's Tales", How to be a Better Wildlife Photographer. I don't think I'm prepared for this much dedication, though.

  2. From Neurophilosophy, under the category, "Art", A Clockwork Beetle. Has to be seen to be believed. More dedication.

  3. Speaking of dedication, how about this? From YouTube, a couple of incredibly determined squirrels. Watch it all the way to the end; the second squirrel has a sweet tooth.

  4. This is what I want for Christmas. Thanks for the help, PZ.

  5. For birders in Washington State and across the border in the BC Lower Mainland, a handy reference. Good pics and info.

  6. I'm catching up; this one is barely a week old. From Catalogue of Organisms, A Choir of Zoraptera, or "angel insects". These are so cute! (Your mileage may vary.)

  7. One more. I have often been startled into wakefulness just when I was finally drifting off to sleep by a sudden jerking of my arms or legs. It worried me; I thought, sometimes, that it might be a sign of something wrong in my brain, a mini-stroke, perhaps.

    Turns out it's common and harmless. Jake, on "Pure Pedantry", explains it. (If the technical language in the quote seems too difficult, just scroll on past; it gets unwrapped afterwards.) It seems, inventing a very simple analogy here, that it is the "click" of a switch flicking in your brain, turning your muscles from "on duty" to "standby". Nice to know; next time, I won't lie awake worrying.

2 comments:

  1. You come up with some very interesting stuff on your blogs to say nothing of your pics.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger