Monday, October 01, 2007

Update on the "Astounding!" caterpillar

Well, that was quick! I didn't even get around to posting my photos on BugGuide, but we have an ID for yesterday's caterpillar. A local naturalist left a comment on that post, with a link. Thanks!

What I have is a Cabbage White butterfly, Pieris rapae. The link answers a few of my questions:
  1. It has settled in for the duration; they hibernate over the winter, hatching out in early spring.
  2. The reason it wouldn't eat any of the veg. I gave it was that I gave it no brassicas, except for the hedge mustard I found it on. I should have tried cabbage out of my fridge.
  3. I won't be able to tell if it is male or female until it hatches. Males have one spot on each wing, females have two.
And it brings up another question: why does Wikipedia say that hedge mustard, Sisymbrium officinale, is not a brassica, while another site says that it is? (A UK site says,
Cultivated brassicas are the primary foodplants including cabbages, and Nasturtium (Tropaeoleum majus). Wild crucifers such as Wild Cabbage (Brassica oleracea), Charlock (Sinapis arvensis), Hedge Mustard (Sisymbrium officinale), Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata), Hoary Cress (Lepidium draba), and Wild Mignonette (Reseda lutea) are also used to a lesser degree.)

Hedge mustard as I found it.

And from a British site: same plant.

2 comments:

  1. Sisymbrium is a member of the brassica family (Brassicaceae, referred to in older texts as Cruciferae), but not of the Brassica genus itself. Probably the different sites were referring to different ranks.

    One thing, though - in some parts of the world cabbage whites are a minor pest species. You may want to check whether it is in your area before releasing the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christopher, that clears it up nicely.

    And yes, I'll check out pest species.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger