Sunday, August 26, 2007

Just a shell from a garage sale


Abalone. Found on some distant beach, empty except for the remains of hitchhikers. Enjoyed for a time, stashed, forgotten, piled on a table with junk. Useful, perhaps, as a soap dish, an ashtray, a key catcher. Just a buck.

A teller of tales, if you look closely. And a thing of beauty.


In the sea, life builds on life. Kelp on clumps of mussels, snails on the kelp, barnacles on the snails, algae on the barnacles. Barnacles on everything, actually. The abalone bears both pink an white barnacles, still holding their shape. Others have broken off, leaving only the white scar of their base.


Tube worms cemented their homes among the barnacles; curlicues, macaroni shapes, masses of tiny shelly bubbles. And snails bored deep holes in the shell to get at the meat inside.


All this can be seen while the abalone lives. But the inner magic is only revealed after its death.


The "scar" where the muscle was attached.

One of a row of "portholes".





I am struck dumb.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, haven't seen one of those for awhile. I just love shells, in all their infinite variety and beauty, but the abalone is one of the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:15 am

    Cool! I like your spirit and the eye for simple shape and form that happens in nature, the possibilities are endless, let the camera be your eye, and always keep it open!
    Jamie in SO CA US

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks Jamie, for hauling me back to look at these photos again! It's been a few months. And I find them as intriguing and beautiful as the first time round.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger