Saturday, July 07, 2007

Oil Pumps

Sorting through old documents, I found this poem by my mother. I think, though it is over a quarter-century old, it is still relevant.

OIL PUMPS
by
Lorna Anderson - 1980

Up and down
like giant carrion in the fields,
they suck the blood of prehistoric forests
and rotting dinosaurs.
Between their claws they spew and spit
the foul black mucus
into troughs and tubes
that bear it to the flames
that heat the blood of pale and fearful man,
who cries for "More! More!"
struggling to survive upon a dying earth.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:10 am

    Wow! Still relevant indeed. Your mother captures very well the visceral upset that many of us feel when we see large machines ripping, crushing, cutting, compacting, and sucking the earth.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger