Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Black-tailed bumblebee

Bumbling about in a rhododendron ...

Bombus melanopygus

In most of the photos I have of these native bees, it is difficult to verify that they do, in fact, have four wings; here, in spite of the interference from the rhododendron naughty bits, the second wing shows up clearly.

Another photo, showing the black tail that gives this species its common name.

I still have trouble identifying bees and bee mimics. Almost every time, I go back to my post from 2008, "Once upon a time, bees were bees ...", where I sorted some of the locals out, with the help of two experts from BugGuide. Even there, though, I have a couple of unidentified ones. I'll have to look for better specimens this summer.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Powell River Books said...

The bumblebees love my daffodils when they are in bloom. They sleep inside the centers. - Margy

Susannah Anderson said...

I guess it's warmer deep down in the cone of a daffodil!