Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Did I mention artists?

... I did.

Strathcona, the old community on the edge of Vancouver's Chinatown, is home to a goodly number of them; some in cheap rental digs, some in heritage houses, some in brightly painted modernistic structures, some in an old church; some working in the garage, on the front porch, in a shed in the yard, and some having studio space, alone or with others.


Every year, my daughter invites us to the East Side Culture Crawl, a three-day festival, when all these artists open their homes and studios to the curious and -- they hope -- customers. I promise to go, and then we find ourselves tied up that weekend. I'll try again for this year, November 16 to 18.

Whether we make it to the crawl or not, we conduct our own mini-crawl every time we visit the area, although we are limited to rubber-necking and staring in studio windows.

We had about 15 minutes for this activity last Saturday: here are a few of my photos. (Laurie's are in the film camera; they'll come later.)

Where to start? Down the street, of course.


Across the street from MacLean park, there is an oddly-shaped studio, with several doors, all interesting. In front, an enormous fig tree, and almost randomly-arranged plantings. On the curb, under another tree, sit two old washing machines, used as planters.

This is a working studio, not a display point. But the residents can't help themselves: the long glassed-in porch or hallway under the fig tree is an ever-changing visual feast. Plants, work in progress, clay pots, and you-name-its vie with the reflections from the park.


I don't know for sure which artists are responsible for this part of the building; I know that one here, David Pirrie, a painter, will open his studio for the Crawl.

Here's a photo from the summer before last, one of my favourites, in the same window.


(And Laurie will have a few photos from the other side of the tree, later.)

Heading back towards Hastings, we pass an old bakery converted into a studio; the Paneficio Studios. (Of course.)


I'm sure the paint job is not what the original owners intended. It suits the area, though. The little round sign above the corner post reads, "Paneficio".

Six artists at this address are registered for the Crawl. Valerie Arntzen has her work in the window this week. Very symbolic, although of what, is anyone's guess. I'll ask her if I manage to get to the Crawl.


I like this photo, taken through the window at an angle; the fuzziness adds to the mystery of the old box itself. What do you think it symbolizes? What does it say to you?

Down the street and around the corner; not much time left. A mailbox speaks of early-morning coffee on the stoop, watching the sun make long shadows on the pavement.


On the other side of the hydrangeas, the window intrigues:


Ancient paint, an Indian sari as a curtain, and the reflections of sky, trees, and peaked roofs above.

Time's up; back to the party. Where my granddaughter gets into the spirit of things. Dancing shoes and a lampshade that swings in the breeze.


That's all for now: more later, when I get Laurie's photos uploaded.

1 comment:

  1. Hellloo!! How fun! our county just had their artist studio tour too(I'm posting a little about it). I really enjoy seeing people's studios, which are really their homes. It's much more informal, neighborly, not the stuffy gallery-hoo-ha. Keep the pix coming! Thanks, Celeste

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger