Sunday, May 13, 2007

Weekly Five: the science links I promised.

I promised: to post a list of five science links, every week.

A problem has arisen. Checking over the posts that I found interesting this week, I filled my address bar with far more than 5. So here I am, at the Express Check-Out with a full cart. Be lenient with me, Mike.

#1. Daily Kos, Marine Life Series: Boring Sponges How something soft and mushy eats its way into something hard. Like a thick oyster shell.I've seen that! But I didn't know what I was seeing. Now I do.

And just last night, I was reading a small reference booklet, "Tidepool & Reef - Marinelife Guide to the Pacific Northwest Coast"; it says, about the Hermit Crab Sponge,
"Grows on shells inhabited by hermit crabs; eventually dissolves the shell. Instead of finding larger shells as the crab grows, it can make the sponge its permanent home." (My emphasis.)
An interesting symbiosis.

Link # 2: Asphalt-Eating Bacteria. "... new branches in the tree of life, ..."

# 3 - 6: Snake steals toxins from toads. The article mentions some frogs, birds and now snakes that are known to collect the toxins they use from their diet. I would add to that the nudibranches, (sea slugs -- what an awful name for such beautiful creatures!). They eat stinging cnidarians, such as sea anenomes and jellyfish, and transport the cnidarian stinging cells to their own cerata. (An example, here.)

# 7: Zombie Snails. Pulsating tentacles!
Staying in the shade. No neon lights. Not a zombie. (Under the chin of a totem pole animal.)

# 8: Something to think about. Metaphors, Science and Cardiology.

# 9. 10: And, since it's Mothers' Day, or was still a few minutes ago, Janet Stemwedel interviews her mother. Why Mom went back to school, and Mom goes to grad school. Having two daughters who did something similar (nursing, as opposed to astronomy, but also in their 30s, and as mothers of small children), I find this heart-warming.

# 11: A moving story by Dr. Charles, Mother's Day.

Oh, and one more: Good Planets is up, at The Gypsy's Caravan. "...abundance and glory...", the Gypsy saith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger