Wednesday, March 21, 2007

So Sad! And a warning: keep a lookout for this.

I'm passing on a message from Bill of the Birds about another of those horrible "unintended consequences".

"... hole-punched sign posts could be inadvertently deadly to perching raptors.

... the owl was suspended by a single talon that had apparently gotten caught in the top hole of the post. Clearly the bird flew in and perched on top of the post. Then, when it tried to leave, found itself caught by a talon through the hole. It had struggled to free itself, and likely starved to death.

... And they asked us at BWD to help spread the word about the unintentional danger these sign posts may pose to any raptor with talons that perches on top. This style of sign post or fence post is commonly used, so how can the danger be reduced?"

Read the rest here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:35 pm

    This is very sad - thank you for bringing this to my attention. I wonder what can be done???? - if the signs can be altered in some way - I would do it myself.Perhaps we I can bring this to the attention of those who need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can be done?

    I don't know. I would like to see a reversion to the old wooden posts, but it would take some doing, and a group of people, to accomplish this.

    For my part, I can do two things: pass the word on (hence this post), and add to my regular bag of walking essentials a few nuts and bolts to put in any top hole I can reach.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger