Friday, September 27, 2024

Just plain serendipity

The forest around Roberts Lake is full of shadows; tall, closely packed evergreens blot out much of the light, even on the sunniest days. A short walk, wide and well-tended, takes you down from the parking lot to the campsites just above the lake. A business-like trail, getting you from here to there without delay.

I was there for the second time that week, looking for mushrooms. I had posted photos of some small white and purplish mushrooms along this trail on Facebook, and was told to check their scent to help with identification. So here I was, walking slowly down the hill, weaving from side to side, peering under ferns, moving fallen branches; I thought (I still think) that I remembered the precise location, but the mushrooms were nowhere to be seen. Maybe I remembered wrong, I thought, and searched both sides of the trail down to the water, back up to the parking lot, and back down again, more slowly this time.

On the second search, about halfway down the hill, a young man passed me. He said something I didn't catch. "I'm looking for mushrooms," I said, explaining my slowness, my posture, bent over, head down. He stopped. A pleasant young man; he showed me photos on his phone of mushrooms and scenery taken earlier that week. Another lake, another forest. I explained my search for white and purple mushrooms, my frustration at not finding them. After a bit, he went on, wishing me luck.

I was near the bottom of the trail again when he came out of a campsite and started up. Going slowly this time, bending down, searching the sides of the path. After a while he called to me, pointing at something at the base of a tree. I went back down to see.

At first I couldn't see anything. It was dark down there, black on black on dark brown, with shadowed leaves providing the only colour. Not until he touched his find with a fingertip did I see them: black stems with blobby black tips. I tried to take photos: the camera couldn't find anything to focus on; which black shadow was the one I wanted? Looking through the viewfinder, I didn't know, either.

We never did find the mushrooms.

I was back again a few days later, this time carrying several cameras and a couple of LED lights (the ones I use in my closets, battery-operated). What I found, I'll leave for the next post.

Ok; one photo. Recognize these?

Under bright light, it isn't black after all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

El bosque alrededor del lago Roberts está lleno de sombras; los árboles perennes impiden la penetración de la luz, hasta en los dias más asoleados. Un paseo ancho y bien mantenido lleva desde el estacionamiento hasta los sitios para acampar al lado del lago. Un sendero sin meandros; el propósito era llegar lo más pronto posible al final.

Yo había venido, por la segunda vez esa semana, para buscar hongos. Había subido a Facebook una foto de unos honguitos blancos con rayas moradas que había visto en este sendero; me habían recomendado notar el olor para ayudar con la identificación. Por eso, aquí estaba, examinando ambos lados del camino, con cuidado, despacito, levantando frondas de los helechos y arrimando ramas caídas. Creía (y todavía creo) que recordaba el sitio preciso, pero de los hongos, ni sus luces. Tal vez mi memoria no era tan buena, pensé, y revisé los bordes a lo largo del camino, bajando hasta el lago, regresando al estacionamiento, y volviendo a bajar, esta vez aun más lentamente.

En esta segunda búsqueda, estaba a medio camino, cuando me pasó un joven bajando hacia el lago. Dijo algo que no oi bien, estando tan concentrada en mi búsqueda. "Estoy buscando hongos," le dije, tratando de explicar mi postura, doblada hacia el suelo, y lo lento de mis pasos. Se detuvo. Un joven muy amable, me mostró fotos en su celular, hongos y paisajes que había sacado recientemente. Otro bosque, otro lago. Yo describí los hongos que buscaba, y la frustración que sentía al no encontrarlos. Después de un rato, siguió camino abajo, no sin desearme buena suerte.

Había llegado al lago e iba ya de regreso camino arriba cuando el joven salió de un sitio con su mesa de picnic y se dirigió hacia el estacionamiento. Pero ahora iba sin prisas, agachándose para mirar las hierbas al lado del camino. Después de un rato, me llamó, señalando algo en el suelo cerca del tronco de un gran árbol. Regresé para ver que era lo que me quería mostrar.

Al principio no veía nada. Todo estaba muy oscuro; negro con negro, con café tan oscuro que era casi negro; las hojas verdes, en sombra oscura, proveían un poco, muy poco, de contraste. Hasta que el joven los tocó con la punta de un dedo, no los vi: tallos negros con masas negras en los extremos. Traté de sacar unas fotos, pero la cámara no pudo enfocarse; ¿cual mancha negra era la que quería yo? Mirando por el visor, yo tampoco sabía.

Nunca encontramos los hongos que buscaba.

Regresé unos dias más tarde, ahora cargando varias cámaras y dos luces LED (de las que tengo en los closets, a base de pilas). Lo que descubrí, lo dejo para el siguiente post.

La foto: ¿reconoces esto? Con bastante luz, resulta que no es totalmente negro.

(Acerca del título: "serendipity" se define como el fenómeno de encontrar cosas de valor sin buscarlas, o cuando lo que se buscaba era otra cosa totalmente distinta.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger