Saturday, May 04, 2024

Empty cups

 It's always exasperating, when I follow a road into the bush, to find that it has been used as an unauthorized trash dump. I was turning the car around at the end of one of these roads, this one piled with unwanted construction materials, when I noticed these mushrooms at the edge of a pile of disintegrating chipboard. (Waferboard, aka Aspenite.)

Cup fungus, probably Peziza phyllogena, aka P. badioconfusa.

Two more, growing at the edge of the chipboard.

The small mushroom above was about the diameter of a loonie, which measures 2.65 cm. across.

These are fairly common mushrooms, found throughout the continent, appearing at the end of spring or early summer.

I do wonder, though: did the spores arrive in the chipboard? I looked all over the area for others; the only ones I found were all along the edges of the lumber. There were none underneath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Esto siempre me hace rabiar; sigo un caminito que entra al bosque, y allí encuentro un montón de basura, tirada allí sin autorización, sin respetar el medio ambiente. Al final de uno de estos, hay un depósito no oficial de materiales de construcción. Daba la vuelta en el coche, lista para regresar a la carretera, cuando vi por la ventana estos hongos en los bordes de una pila de madera aglomerada ya medio desintegrada.

Fotos: Hongos "taza", probablemente Peziza phyllogena, también conocidos como P. badioconfusa. 
El hongo pequeño en la segunda foto mide aproximadamente unos 25 cm. de diámetro.

Estos hongos son bastante comunes, apareciendo al finales de la primavera en todo el continente.

Me pregunto si las esporas llegaron en la madera, porque busqué alrededor y no los encontré en ningún sitio aparte de justo al borde de la pila.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger