Friday, November 17, 2023

Moving day for mother and babies.

 I discovered a thriving spider housing development in the inch-wide space between my desk and the wall. Good spot; I haven't moved the desk for a few years. I only found it now because a cellar spider mother took her babies for a walk;  maybe she was looking for a less-crowded environment to raise her family in. She caught my eye as she rappelled down the back of a chair and I followed her as she ducked under the top of the desk. There, she installed herself towards the back, over a shelf. Crawling on the floor, I managed to wedge the camera with it's added flash and a back-up light into the space, all without disturbing her. She's there still.

Bagful of babies; she'll carry them until they hatch out.

And no, I won't eradicate the housing development; it does me no harm, and they keep down the mosquitos and other flying critters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ayer encontré una vecindad multifamiliar tras mi escritorio. Arañas fólcidas, sus telarañas muy pobladas llenando el espacio angosto entre el escritorio y la pared. Un buen sitio escogieron, pues no he movido el escritorio por varios años.

Ahora me di cuenta, porque una de las arañas decidió ir a pasear con su familia. La vi bajándose por el respaldo de una silla, y la seguí mientras cruzó a esconderse bajo el tablero del escritorio. Tal vez buscaba un sitio más tranquilo en donde puede cuidar a sus hijos.

A gatas, logré insertar la cámara con su flash auxiliar y otra luz (pues el sitio no admite la luz de la habitación) y apuntar todo el conjunto en dirección hacia la araña. Y sin molestarle en lo absoluto. Sigue allí hoy.

Foto: la araña con la bolsa de huevos que cargará en la boca hasta que salgan las arañitas.

Y no, no pienso eliminar la vecindad. No me hace daño alguno, y los habitantes se ocupan de librar mi casa de mosquitos y otros insectos voladores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger