Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Shimmery Yellow Velvet

 I can't resist a patch of Queen Anne's Lace. Nor can assorted bugs and beetles. In this patch, on the edge of the forest at Eve River, every fully open flower head I looked at carried tidy little brown beetles with black heads. And on one flower centre, I found a new lifer for me, the Yellow Velvet Beetle, Lepturobosca chrysocoma.

Here, with a few of the little brownies.

Google image search is amazing. I posted this photo, and in seconds, I had a screen full of matches. On iNaturalist, then, I found the name and species, and a photo of one taken near where I found this one. But the beetles, (also called the Golden-haired Flower Longhorn) live from Canada to the north of Mexico. One posted to iNaturalist was found in the Northwest Territories, near the Great Slave Lake.

The adults eat flower pollen; the larvae feed on dead wood.

The name, chrysocoma, according to BugGuide, means "gold hair". And it really shines in the sunlight.

The beetle measures up to 2 cm. long. Not counting the antennae.

Queen Anne's Lace, still unopened. No beetles here. Yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~
No puedo pasar un grupo de las flores de zanahoria silvestre (que aquí llamamos Encaje de la Reina Ana) sin detenerme para mirarlas. Y no solo yo; atraen también a gran número de bichos, abejas, moscas y escarabajos. En los bordes del bosque cerca del rio Eve, cada flor abierta llevaba muchos escarabajitos cafés con cabezas negras. Y en el centro de un capítulo floral, se encontró este escarabajo dorado; es la primera vez que veo uno de estos. Es Lepturobosca chrysocoma, el Escarabajo de Terciopelo Amarillo.

Foto: El escarabajo en las flores de zanahoria silvestre, con varios escarabajitos.

La búsqueda por imágenes de Google es asombroso. Apenas subí esta foto, y en segundos, me presentó con una pantalla entera de ejemplares. Entre ellos, encontré en iNaturalist, uno de estos animalitos que se halló cerca del mismo lugar. Pero estos escarabajos viven desde el norte de México hasta Canada. En el mapa de iNaturalist, el registro más al norte está en Northwest Territories, cerca del lago Great Slave. (61.84°N)

Los adultos comen el polen de las flores, y las larvas comen madera muerta.

El nombre científico, chrysocoma, se traduce como "pelo dorado". Y de veras, brilla como oro cuando le alumbra el sol.

Fotos: 
  • Otra vista del mismo. Mide hasta 2 cm. de largo, sin contar las antenas.
  • Una cabeza de zanahoria silvestre, todavía sin abrir. Y sin escarabajos.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger