Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Blue thighs and black eyes

 More photos from the aquarium on the pier:

Widehand hermit, Elassochirus tenuimanus. With limpets and algae on his shell.

"The blue colour on the thighs (inner surfaces) of its appendages is a distinctive feature." (Marine Life of the PNW)
Thighs! I never thought to apply that word to the segment of a hermit's legs. I think the "proper" term is Ischium. But I like "thigh".

Unidentified nudibranch

This little guy occasionally let go of the wall and started to swim about, twisting back and forth; sort of dancing in the water.

Swimming scallops, Chlamys hastata.

Look for the eyes; little black dots around the rim of the orange flesh. Or white, where the light hits the tiny mirrors inside.

Another scallop and a red and white striped greenling. (Painted?)

And a very spiny crab. Unidentified.

This year I've got a season's pass, so I'll be back. Maybe I'll be able to identify the fish and the crab next visit.

~~~~~~~~~
Y hay más fotos de los animales en el acuario en el muelle.

  1. Un cangrejo ermitaño "de patas anchas", Elassochirus tenuimanus. Lleva una pareja de lapas y algas verdes y color de rosa en la concha. Dice mi enciclopedia — El color azul que lleva en el muslo de sus extremidades es una característica distintiva. — ¡El muslo! Nunca se me hubiera ocurrido darle ese nombre a un segmento de una pata de ermitaño. Creo que el término "apropriado" es isqion. Pero me gusta "muslo".
  2. Un nudibranqio sin identificar. Esta criaturita de vez en cuando se saltaba de la pared y empezaba a nadar, torciéndose como si estuviera bailando.
  3. Vieras natadoras, Chlamys hastata. Busca los ojos; puntitos negros al borde de la carne anaranjada. O blancas, cuando los espejitos en el interior reflejan la luz.
  4. Otra vieira, con un pescado "greenling", vestido en rayas de rojo y blanco.
  5. Y un cangrejo muy espinoso. No lo pude identificar.
Este año tengo un pase de temporada, y voy a poder visitar con frecuencia. Tal vez logre identificar al pescado y al cangrejo en la próxima visita.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger