Sunday, September 05, 2021

Canned spiders

I found a spider egg case tied to the bottom of my bedside table. I disapproved of the mother's choice of location, and transferred the case to a small canning jar. A week later, they hatched.


Better here than by my bed.


Stripy little critters. I can't identify the species at this stage.


The egg sac looks like a cross spider's (Araneus diadematus) sac, but freshly hatched cross spiderlings are bright yellow with a black patch at the rear. And I have seen no cross spiders inside the house this year.

And then I took the lid off the jar and set it in a warm corner outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encontré un saco de huevos de araña colgado debajo de mi mesa de noche. No estuve de acuerdo con el sitio escogido por la mamá araña, así que despegué el saco con cuidado y lo acomodé en un frasco con tapa. Una semana más tarde, las ara­ñitas salieron.

El saco (primera foto) se parece al saco de las arañas de la cruz, Araneus diadematus, sus arañitas nuevecitas son de un color amarillo brillante con una mancha negra al extremo posterior. Y no he visto arañas de la cruz en mi recámara este año.

No pude identificar esta familia.

Y luego llevé el frasco afuera, le quité la tapa, y lo guardé en una esquina protegida.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger