Thursday, May 20, 2021

Lion's tooth

 They're pests, but so beautiful!

The common dandelion, Taraxacum officinale.

Each petal is a separate flower, and produces a seed, which flies away to set a new plant in your neighbour's lawn. One plant can produce 5,000 seeds a year.

But the seeds are beautiful, too.

Waiting for a breath of wind.

The flowers, greens, and roots are edible. I always intend to make dandelion jelly, and never get around to it, so the seed heads get harvested carefully and trashed before they take to the air.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Son una plaga, pero ¡tan hermosos! Son los muy comunes dientes  de león, Taraxacum officinale.

Cada pétalo es una flor y cada flor produce semillas, que se lanzan al aire y van a sembrarse en el césped del vecino. Una sola planta puede producir hasta 5.000 semillas al año.

Y las semillas tambien son bellas, con su "paracaídas" tan ligeras.

El diente de león es comestible, tanto las flores como las hojas y hasta las raices. Siempre me propongo hacer jalea de flor de diente de león, y siempre se me pasa el tiempo, y termino cortando con mucho cuidado las cabezas de volantes, y echándolas a la basura antes de que se van volando.


2 comments:

  1. American goldfinches love the seeds. Which makes me love the dandelions even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And our tortoise loves them too! Essential and staple foraging, especially early in the year.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger