Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Big dinner

Cellar spiders are such elegant, delicate spiders, with their long legs and their coffee-and-cream patterned abdomens. They look fragile. They're not.

Cellar spider with larger jumping spider for lunch.

They routinely capture and eat spiders over twice their bulk. This one took three days to finish off her catch, and her abdomen took on his colour until she was almost black herself.

I don't know how long the colour lasted, because my cat discovered her and chased her down a crack. She hasn't come out into the open since. Smart spider!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Las arañas de bodega (Pholcus phalagioides) son tan elegantes, tan delicadas, con las patas largas y el diseño de café con crema de sus cuerpos. Parecen ser frágiles. Pero no lo son.

Acostumbran cazar y comer otras arañas, más grandes, a veces más de dos veces su tamaño. La del foto tiene una araña saltarina (Salticidae). Tomó tres días para comerla, y mientras tanto cambió su color hasta que estaba casi negra.

No sé cuanto le duró el color, porque mi gata la descubrió y le persiguió hasta que se escondiá en una grieta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger