Monday, September 23, 2019

Floaters

One more photo from the beaver pond.

The last yellow waterlily (Nuphar polysepala) of the season, and floating-leaved pondweed, Potamogeton natans.

This pondweed has two types of leaves; long, thin ones that grow underwater, and the floaters that lie flat on the surface of the water, green fading to coppery brown. The stems grow up to 2 metres long, although the pond here seems to be about a foot deep; soft mud at the bottom could possibly add another foot or more. I slipped and fell into one of these ponds years ago; we were catching frogs in what looked like shallow water, but standing in the pond, the water came up to my waist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger