Thursday, August 15, 2019

White gum, yellow petals, blue-black spider

It's gumweed (Grindelia stricta) season again. The dunes and the meadow at Oyster Bay are bright with all their yellow blooms.

And more, about to burst into flower.

The white stuff is glue. Very sticky. It doesn't hold back the petals when they flare out, though. The little white critters are whiteflies.

Half opened. With a blue-black spider.

I hadn't seen the spider until I looked at the photos. In the field, I'm too busy trying to focus on a petal swaying in the wind to see all the details.

I've never seen a spider this black here before. The legs are pale, and there's a brown patch on the cephalothorax. I can't identify the spider, so I'll send it in to BugGuide. They're good; they even identified my newborn spiderlings!

Here's the spider, cropped out of the photo above.




6 comments:

  1. Could it be a mite or an aphid? Also, could you share the bugguide post, whenever you make a request? I'm usually quite curious as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a bit too big for a mite. And I think I can count 8 legs, although they may be 6 legs and 2 long antennae. Anyhow, I'll post the BugGuide id.

      Delete
    2. I've posted the critter to BugGuide. I had to wait until I went to collect another flower head to measure the base and get an approximate size for the "spider". About 3 mm, I think.

      Delete
    3. Here's the link to the BugGuide post: https://bugguide.net/node/view/1712492

      Delete
    4. The first response from BugGuide is that its an aphid of some kind.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger