Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Day of Small Things

She should have been outside, in the greenery, but there's no denying the attraction of a good book.

Phytocoris nymph on a vintage book, "The Day of Small Things" by O. Douglas, 1933.

She's 3 mm long, nose to tail. The antennae are another 3 mm.

Phytocoris species are plant bugs. (The scientific name is just that, in Greek. Phyt = plant, coris = bug. Sometimes scientific names are just boring.) There are around 300 species in North America, that we know of, and most are tiny. Most are plant feeders.

"Bye!"

Quote from the book, opened at random: "... she's as charming in the house as a Persian kitten."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger