Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Diadematus

For the last month, a small cross spider (Araneus diadematus: a much prettier name than "cross", as in "grumpy") has been hanging out under the garden hose support. I have been careful, unrolling and storing the hose, not to disturb her web, but the hose slipped from my hand Monday afternoon, and broke her web. So she climbed on the hose itself. Good thing I'd finished watering for the day.

And now I could reach her for a photo shoot.

One year when we were living in Delta, these spiders were thick on the cedars and on my walls; fat, healthy-looking weavers, and hundreds of tiny babies, with their tiny webs full of gnats. They spun new webs across the lawn and over the doors every night, so that day after day, we caught a face full of spider silk. The next year there were fewer, then fewer still.

And now, here in Campbell River, I have gone all this spring and summer without seeing more than this one. I wonder why that is.

Last night, when I went out to water, the hose and wall were spiderless.

I'm sorry, Miss Diadem; I hope you found a safe home.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe there are more predators in Campbell River? Birds, wasps, and such?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been contacted by a couple of students at Swansea University asking if, although I no longer live in Dorset, whether I know of any colonies there of Symsagittifera roscoffensis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symsagittifera_roscoffensis). I don't.

    I don't know whether there are likely to be any in your part of the world but, just in case, I gave them a link to your blog. Hope that's ok.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger