Friday, March 22, 2013

Eelgrass isopod

I didn't see this critter when I harvested the eelgrass; not until I was running my fingers down each blade at home, looking for tiny limpets, did I run into him; a monster compared to the limpets I would have seen first, but so well glued to the eelgrass that he was practically invisible.

Eelgrass isopod, Idotea resecata

He's a bit over an inch long. Very slow moving, most of the time, but a good swimmer when he feels the need.

And a beastie that's half snail, half slug, tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susannah,

    I am creating an identification guide of common organisms found in northern Puget Sound as part of a citizen scientist program. I am seeking permission to use your image of the eelgrass isopod found in this blog post. We will, of course, credit you as the photographer.

    Please let me know if you are willing to grant us permission to use this image.

    With gratitude,

    Claire Cook
    Fisheries Technician
    Swinomish Indian Tribal Community
    ccook@swinomish.nsn.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course you may use it. Thank you for asking! I'd appreciate a link to the identification guide when you publish it.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger