Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sunset over Reifel Island

We started out for our afternoon walk late, delayed by conversation with neighbours, and slowed, once on the road, by the fast-dropping sun in my eyes as we drove west. We arrived at Reifel Island about the time we normally would be leaving, with less than an hour before they started closing the gates.

I'm glad; otherwise, we would have missed this.

A hot orange sun slips over the horizon,

painting dried grasses with warm light,

and highlighting the red-brown of a hooded merganser.


The sun drops out of sight, but the orange light spreads upward,

tinting even the sky opposite.

The moon rises in the east, over pink mountain peaks. It will turn red towards morning, so another visitor tells me.

A Skywatch post.

3 comments:

  1. Sun? You got sun? I wondered where it went. The weatherman has been calling for sun all week, but we didn't see any except for a few wisps through the ever present low lying clouds. Even so, it was a wonderful week up at the cabin. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! The merganser--I can't think of it without thinking of my sister. Which, as you know, I was doing anyway. Ain't they just the grandest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! what a beautiful moon... nice shots..

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger