Saturday, October 16, 2010

Clowns in sober black

I think coots are my favourite birds. Ridiculous birds, black-suited and bejewelled as if for a formal occasion, but wearing someone else's floppy bedroom slippers. Contortionists, splay-footed divers, splashing maniacs running on water to get up enough speed to fly, with a voice like a kid learning to play the kazoo, or alternately, like the creak of a ratcheted wrench on a rusty bolt, or sometimes the ploop! of a cork coming out of an old medicine bottle. And, in spite of all that, just plain cute.


Coot and reflection


The reflection looks like a cartoon dolphin.


Wait! Are those my shoes?


They're good for paddling, anyhow.


Cute couple.


Red-eye special.

3 comments:

  1. I like coots and your post. We looked for the ridiculously ugly and funny young coots this spring. After seemingly seeing them forever, we didn't even find a single adult. They must go elsewhere for nesting and raising of the young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I love them too and I can't believe you actually go a photo of their feet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of the coot- we need more field guides with descriptions like that!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger