Monday, April 26, 2010

Just a bit of fluff.

I found these egg cases on a frond of feathery seaweed from Centennial Beach;


I was going to anchor the weed in my aquarium, without paying it much attention; it was just a tiny bit of fluff to serve as a hiding spot for amphipods. Then the light caught these yellowish jelly beads, a couple of millimetres long.


Here's one, propped against a light; ten eggs in a round case with an exit hole at the top. If you look closely, you can see horizontal grooves in the casing.

I don't know what lays these; possibly a snail, but which, I have no idea. If they hatch in my aquarium, I might find out. That's if the hermits and anemones don't eat the babies first.

3 comments:

  1. What a good eye you have to notice these! To me they look somewhat like oval shaped pearls.

    I hope you find out what they are! That would be fascinating!

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a molluscan vibe about them. I look forward to finding out about the hatchlings when they make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snail, I've separated the seaweed into a jar by itself, so that I can see the hatchlings without the rest of the tank residents snacking on them first. I'll let you know if they show up.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is on a post older than a week, it will be held for moderation. Sorry about that, but spammers seem to love old posts!

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!