Saturday, December 20, 2008

Red snow, brown snow, blue birds.

I'm in Strathcona again, house- and cat-sitting. I arrived well after dark, but once I had settled in, I went out for a walk with the camera anyhow.


The camera does odd things, sometimes. This window had a red curtain, surrounded by deep red lights. The camera, on half a dozen shots, insisted on rendering the lights as white, the snow as red.

I had the camera set to "Available light", hand-held, which meant holding perfectly still for several seconds for each shot. Not easy, when you're shivering.


A little bare tree decorated with blue lights becomes a "V", with the quotation marks and all.


Or a flight of blue birds.


Other decorations, farther away, become check marks on the night.


MacLean Park, under trampled snow. The streetlights give a brown tinge to all the whites.


Lonely bench.


Telephone pole, with the remains of a local history in signs.


I had to use the flash on this one; there was no streetlight directly on it. Arnt Arntzen's "steel macaroni", again. With a light snow dressing, for flavour.


Anyone want a desk? With a nice screen? Freebie on the sidewalk.

And I'd had enough; my teeth were chattering. I came home to Sasha.


"It's about time!" she says.
.

1 comment:

  1. hope you didnt do your computing from that desk...burrr...better be home with Sasha...
    Happy housesitting

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger