Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Green, Brown, Yellow and Grey ...

... moths.

I've been cleaning out my hard drive. Tonight, I ran across these photos of a few moths that visited me last summer; good memories.
None of them have been identified, as yet. I'll get that one of these days.

This first one was on my window: I took the photo against the light, and got his silhouette and feather markings. From outside, he was a pale grey, and the markings were almost invisible.

moth
green moth
A green moth, very small.

moth
Odd ruffles and camouflage markings. About an inch long.

moth
Very elegant, I think.

moth
Not so elegant. Look at those eyes!

moth
Overhead, on the door frame, lying flat.

moth
Greenish eyes and a flat snout. This moth is shaped more like a geometric study than a flying insect.

moth
Here she is again. I think that little round pink blob is an egg. UPDATE: She's a plume moth.

And today, I noticed the first yellow buds on my perennial primroses. Spring, she's a-comin'!

4 comments:

  1. I see you are resurrecting some old(er) photos too!

    Spring ain't a commin' here ... snowing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that last bug/moth, flying thing, pretty freaky, Spruce Goosy! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm interested in that last moth you have a picture of. We've had one around this summer, and we are trying to find out what it is. Have you found out it's name yet?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, it's a plume moth. Here's the BugGuide page on them. You may find yours in the thumbnails.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger