Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Trees down the street

In the Safeway parking lot: maples changing colour, dancing in the wind.


Down the block and around the corner: more like a bouquet than a tree.


Tim Horton's parking lot: some variety of maple? The trunk peels like an arbutus.


Down a bicycle passageway or two: Big Cone pine. Laurie brought me two cones that had fallen to the ground. They are around 10 inches long, 6+ inches wide.


A bit farther afield: Tsawwassen front yard, and a droopy short tree.

2 comments:

  1. The mystery tree looks like Paperbark maple, Acer griseum (guess from leafing through - pun intended - G. B. Straley's Trees of Vancouver). Great discovery.

    Then, thanks to Google:

    http://www.treetopics.com/acer_griseum/index.htm

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hugh. That's it.

    And the multicoloured "bouquet" is a young smoke tree.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger