Friday, August 17, 2007

Weekly (more or less) Five (actually, twelve)

Five Science Links:

Latent memories from previous generations may help birds to fly. From Science Daily. Note: they say may. Something to think about, anyway.

I mentioned this earlier. We knew about global warming, some of its causes and results, back in the 1950s. GrrlScientist has the video.

Squirrels raise the temperature of their tails to warn off rattlesnakes. Wierd. From Afarensis.

How to build a bat detector. Hat tip to Hugh.

Practical science: Developing a better font for highway signs. From Cognitive Daily.

Other stuff:

25 World's Wierdest Animals. They left some of the goodies out, though.

Larry Moran quotes Mark Twain.

You can run, but you can't hide. Discussion on Pharyngula about the spy technology in use, and about to be expanded - to watch all of us.

Cleavers. Those tiny prickly seeds that get all over your pant legs and socks. I got them in my hair, crouching down to take their photo.

News:

Volcano erupts in Guatemala. Night shots by MyBootsnMe. Aug. 8 and 9 (so far).

Earthquake in Peru, a few hours ago. 8 on the Richter scale. (I've been through a few 6s; those are scary enough. I've seen the results, close up, of an 8. Newspaper stories don't do justice to it.) Here, with links to more stories.

Humour: We need some, after the news.

Remember the Doomsday clock? It has run down.

And Elvis laughs!

1 comment:

  1. Your article on global warming is quite impressed. But you gave me more information about effect of green house projects. I had found a site which give regulary updates on global warming. This blog give have some great points like "The real heat will start after 2009, they said."
    www.LifeOfEarth.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger