Tuesday, July 31, 2007

More buggy goings-on.

I was experimenting with setups for insect photography tonight, so I went out and "shanghaied" a couple of subjects.

Here's another of those rhododendron leafhoppers, like the "fire bug" from last week, but upside-down, under glass and in bright light. Now I can see that the bristles that seemed to be part of the body are on the back legs.

And I caught a very active harvestman, or "daddy long-legs", as we always called them.

The eyes are odd: they are close together, and stick up above the body, like periscopes. In this next photo, his mouth appendages are easily seen.

When I first dumped him into the plastic container where I photographed him, he was quite agitated. He did not calm down until he had straitened out each of his legs, using those mouth parts. Here he is working on the end of one:

When I was done, I took both my "volunteers" back outside and set them free.

And, in other news, I keep checking on my American house spider. She is guarding her eggs conscientiously.

Tomorrow: back to Serendip.

4 comments:

  1. You've gotten me so interested in looking for the insects around me. Life I've never really focused on. I told my DH about the cool leafhopper you posted about last time so we noticed several last weekend. You're so smart to use a plastic cup to see the undersides! I'll be borrowing that trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a feta cheese container, and later I saw that when the light was from the side, you could see the red label showing through. Next time, I'll find myself a pure white tub.

    I put a piece of plastic from one of those $1 photo stands over the top. A sheet of good glass would do better (fewer defects to skew the photo) but my plastic tub was 1/4 inch bigger than the glass I had available.

    And I should use a shallower container to keep the insect in focus.

    I'll get this all worked out sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your encouraging words on my blog this evening ... I was about to shut down and go to bed with a heavy heart - but your words helped ...

    Your blog is a thing of beauty - unlike any others I've encountered ... just the right mix of artistic expression, funky musings and life experience - I like it. I WILL be back ...

    tomorrow I'm posting some pics of insects I took today in my garden - not as good as yours, but not bad.
    peace my friend, peace !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Shawn.

    And peace to you, too.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger