Friday, April 20, 2007

629 comments and counting ... Response to VTech.

What can one say about the events of last week? That has not already been said? What can one add to the comments on a post that already has elicited (so far) 629 responses? Not much, so I'll just point to that post; it speaks to and for me.

A professor at Virginia Tech writes:
"We believe in people, in their joys and pains, in their good ideas and their wit and wisdom. We believe in human rights and dignity, and we know what it is for those to be trampled on by brutes and vandals. We may believe that the universe is pitilessly indifferent but we know that friends and strangers alike most certainly are not.
...

Those of us with the slightest shred of deceny do not tell widows to deal with it, to get over it. That the world can be callous is no reason to be so myself. I know that no family could ever get over this loss, that no family should ever be expected to get over this loss -- either by themselves, by religious rhetoricians bearing false platitudes, or by inane political pundits -- but that not getting over the loss does not preclude some other kind of happiness, some other source of joy, at some other time. Not now, not in this moment, not when they have moved on, but only when it comes to them one day, like light dawning slowly.

We know the world is cold, and that only people can make it warmer. We believe we can live in this imperfection, like a child can live without fulfilling her desperate wish for wings. We rail against injustice and tragedy, not the absence of deeper guarantees."

Complete post (with 2 Updates, so far) on here, on Daily Kos.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking to that post. His writing is quite beautiful. As an atheist, I appreciate his perspective, passion, and point. Just because I don't believe in god doesn't mean that I have no compassion or see the beauty of life. It's amazing to me that anyone would actually articulate that and be believed.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger