Friday, March 09, 2007

An interesting (and worrisome) spider post

Arctic spiders. I didn't even know there were such things.

On Stolen Moments: A Green Digest, today's post was about these spiders and the changes coming to them with the thawing Arctic.

Source story from Reuters.

"In the winter they hide under the snow where the climate is quite mild,"

The Worldwide Fund for Nature International gives an example; the Glacier Bay wolf spider.
"(the Glacier Bay wolf spider only lives in southeast Alaska, and its habitat is at risk from glacier recession),"
This is in a 1992 Discussion paper. 1992! How slow we are to pay attention!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:41 am

    I didn't know about arctic spiders, either. I find it distressing that we are seeing more and more stories like this.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger