Sunday, December 11, 2016

Portable shelter

On a stormy night a week ago, a little moth warmed his feet on my window.

Geometer moth, possibly the Bruce Spanworm, (BugGuide) a winter flier.

It occurred to me, looking at the photo, that those feathery wings must work like a double-layer tent, holding the meager heat from my window around the moth's body. Only the head, with those big, purply eyes, and the two front legs, are exposed to the weather; even the antennae are neatly tucked underneath the wings.

Smart moth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger