Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Definitely not a dead shrew

Why is it that when I Google images, specifying, "upright round stem hairless pink flower," what I get is yellow broom, white mushrooms, a map of Australia, and organpipe cactus, but no pink flowers with upright round stems?

Maybe I was confusing Google with too many criteria? How about, "single stalk hairless pink"? Would that work? Well, if I had been looking for a dead shrew, maybe. Or a live shrew (on a different site). Google also thought that maybe a deer, or an armadillo would match. And, of course, it gave me more yellow broom.

On examining the photo I was trying to match, I decided that red was more accurate. Trying "red" instead of pink, got me green beans and celery, assorted bugs, dogs, a map of Eastern Canada, and the Colosseum in Rome. And after a few dozen yellow, white, blue, and pink flowers, a few red ones, on leafy or hairy stems.

I give up.

We saw this plant in the grass at the edge of Centennial Beach. Does anyone out there know what it is?

Blade-like basal leaves (yes, I Googled this, too), round hairless stems, about a foot tall.

And one red or deep pink flower per stalk.
Help!




4 comments:

  1. first thing that jumps to mind is Brodiaea ( congesta?) or Allium species

    will have to wait for those flowers to open

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're pretty certainly looking at some sort of allium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Allium looks right. I looked up native species of allium, and it doesn't match any. I'm wondering if it's a garden escape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous plant! Almost looks like an odd globe flower before they open (leaves aren't right). Can't wait to learn what it is.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger