Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Feels like winter

It's about time. We're into the second week of November already! The sun was shining, but there was a chill wind and dark clouds hovered upwind. Walking on White Rock beach, we zipped up our jackets, and I pulled the hood over my head; my neck was cold. I even put on gloves for a minute or two, until I wanted to pick up a bit of seaweed and decided to put up with numb fingers.


It even looks cold.


The tide was almost in, and the waves crashed on pebbles, and dragged them back down the beach, brought them back and slammed them onto the next batch. They made a rhythmic roaring noise; "Splash, roarrrr, clatter, clatter, pause," then back to "Splash ..." again. I had to shout over it to be heard.


Yellow leaves, still hanging on.


Riding the wave.


Gull with what looks like a metallic helmet.


Side view.  Not a helmet, after all, just grey feathers.


Old man crow.

And after the blatant hint I gave, somewhere up above, can you recognize this?


Primitive art. All natural materials.

Or this?


What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Winter is creeping up over the hill. We've had frost. I like the changes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of the rocks and pebbles on the beach. I can close my eyes and almost hear that wonderful sound!

    The nature art is beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like kelp, but I don't know why there are artistic dark spots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I got up this morning I thought there was a fuzzy cloud over the foothills. It was fresh snow in the logging slashes. At least down here at sea level it is still pretty warm. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, You're right. It's kelp. I don't know what makes the spots, either. There were no animals on it, nor other hint of the cause. Maybe sunburn?

    Margy, It's raining here. But last night, it smelled like snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was fresh snow on the local mountains (we have a view of Grouse and Cypress) again this morning. Winter is here already!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger