Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Deep valleys. Tiny lichen.

On Rock, Paper, Lizard, A Local Naturalist posted a quiz, consisting of photos of the trunks of 6 trees for us to identify. Laurie and I got 2 1/2 right. Can you do better? Go check it out.

Bonus question: What is this?

(Notice that I'm more helpful than ALN; I give you the trunk, a close-up, the growth pattern, and needles.)

Can you identify this one?


Thick, ridged bark, and a straight stretch for the sky.


Close-up of the bark, near ground level.

See the tiny green and white specks on the bark? Two kinds of lichen, getting a foothold.

3 comments:

  1. I don't have clue - nice pics, though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since I started this I feel I should hazard a guess. I'm wondering if it could be anything other than a very old Douglas fir. From the low angle it appears to have a sequoia-like form, but that thick corky bark must be doug fir. That is my final answer. For now.

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugh, Douglas fir it is, then. For now. :)

    It's at the west end of 24th Ave, in Crescent Beach, at the top of the stairs down to the beach.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger