Saturday, November 10, 2007

I don't understand this ...

... I ran my blog URL through a site that tests its readability. This was the result:

(Check your own blog or site, here.* (Link removed, may have spam content.))

I expected a much lower level; I write as I speak, and my school-age grandkids understand me. (As much as kids understand any adult, that is.)
  1. Is something wonky about this test? (Now, that's a good post-grad word, isn't it?)
  2. Most writing for the general public is supposed to be around upper elementary - Junior High level. I checked one of the longer stories on my website (Dressing for Don Pedro) and it was rated at Junior High, as expected. A story I wrote for the kids (Chaucer and the Peanut Butter Sandwich) earned the "Elementary School" badge. As it was intended to. What gives with the blog, then?
  3. I tested a couple of blogs similar to mine. One got Junior High. But Dharma Bums was rated "Genius". Why? (Not to say that it isn't a great, intelligent blog; it is.)
  4. Test your own blog. And/or test a couple of your favourites. Let me know what you find.
Strange things happen when you try to test something by a standardized measure. At least, when the blog was deemed "PG", the site told me why: usage of "bad" words. (Like "dead".) This new site doesn't give reasons; it leaves me guessing.

Any ideas?

6 comments:

  1. I don't understand this either, but it was fun. Rock Paper Lizard is rated Genius for readability (which can only mean that it is unintelligible). It is also rated G. My fiction blog is rated Junior High for readability, and R (several mentions of the words "poop" and "dead"). I won't add the genius graphic, but I will add the R-rating, which has more cachet.

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:42 pm

    Well, when I tested my journal a couple of days ago it said it was Undergrad level. I tested it again just now and it says High School. Apparently I'm devolving fast.

    Or maybe it just gives random results.

    --Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:06 am

    It probably gives random results. I got elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a high school writer.

    Which means I'm either accessible, or dumb .

    I'm like, whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugh,
    Maybe it's counting species names,or words not in its dictionary.

    Bill,
    Maybe it just scans the last 100 words; try throwing a couple of ten-dollar words at it. :)

    Ian,
    I'm beginning to think you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamon,
    Like, kewl! Or is that so last week?

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger