Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Rock Bay rockweed

The last time I visited Rock Bay, there was nobody there, not even a caretaker. This time, though, it was crowded with mobile homes, a new office, and signs ("Under New Management" said one) with lists of prices, even for parking. I walked quickly to the end of the dock, checked the beach, and hurried back to the road, not wanting to pay to stay. (Or be towed to Campbell River, at my expense, as one sign warned. Not so friendly.)

The tide was low. On the beach, I found patches of rockweed, two different species, and not those I see on our local beaches.

A wide-bladed rockweed.

Rockweed can be extremely variable, depending on its habitat, but this specimen, and those around it had much wider blades than any I've seen.

And then, sharing the same habitat, there were these:

Skinny rockweed, Pelvetiopsis limitata, I think. It lacks the distinctive midrib of the other rockweeds.

These were growing there on the shore, attached to solid rocks, not tossed in by waves.

Just visible underneath are the long antennae of shrimp, and one head. I don't know if they were alive or dead; I saw many dead ones under the dock.

And then I went back to the forest, where the parking is free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

La última vez que fui a Rock Bay, no había nadie allí, ni siquiera un guardián. Pero esta vez el sitio estaba repleto de casas rodantes y remolques, una oficina nueva, y letreros oficiales (Bajo Nueva Administración — decía uno) con sus listas de precios, hasta para estacionarse (O el grúa llevará su coche a Campbell River, a su cuenta — amenazaba uno. No muy amistoso.) Bajé rapidamente al muelle, luego a la playita, y me apuré a regresar al camino.

La marea estaba baja. En la playa, descubrí dos distintas especies de sargaso vejigoso; no eran las que encuentro en las playas locales.

Primera foto; un sargaso (Fucus sp.) de vesículas anchas.

El sargaso puede tomar formas muy variables, según su habitat, pero este tiene vesículas mucho más anchas que los que he visto en otros sitios.

Y allí entremezclados con este, en la misma playita, crecían los de la segunda foto. Estos tienen las vesículas muy angostas, y le falta el nervio central. Creo que son de la especie Pelvetiopsis limitata.

Todos estos crecían allí en la playa, fijados a piedras, no habían sido arrancados de sus sitios de origen por la olas.

Apenas visible bajo el segundo ejemplar, se pueden ver las antenas y una cabeza de camarón. No sé si vivos o muertos; bajo el muelle había muchos muertos.

Y lueguito me regresé al bosque, donde se puede estacionar a gusto.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger