Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Vertical dinner

There's always something else to wonder about.

I always stop to look at woodpecker trees. This one was unusual.

Holes on one side only, go from roots to top branches.

The holes, closely spaced, went from the ground up to the top of the tree, all on one side. Far above, the tree was still green.

Smaller section, 2 m. above ground

On that one side, most of the bark had been chipped off. None of the holes were more than an inch deep. They are placed randomly. (Sapsuckers make small holes, but they line up in orderly rows.)

Signed with a "G"

The ground under the tree was covered with chips of bark and red cambium.

I wonder: what kind of critter winters in the bark, but only on one side of the tree? And what persistent bird did this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Siempre me detengo para mirar los árboles donde han estado comiendo los pájaros carpinteros. Este era algo diferente.

Desde el suelo hasta la corona del árbol, estaba cubierto de miles de hoyitos, pero solo en un lado del tronco. Ninguno de los agujeros medían más de un par de centímetros de hondo; la mayor parte de la corteza había caído al suelo.

Me pregunto: ¿Qué tipo de insecto pasa el invierno bajo la corteza pero solamente en un lado del árbol? Y ¿Qué pájaro tan trabajador se dedicó a minar a todo el largo del árbol?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger